Borris Lace is a craft which was introduced to the South Carlow town around 1857 by Lady Harriet Kavanagh of Borris House. It was established as a local craft to provide much needed employment.
Borris Lace was revived in 1991 with the help of the Carlow Federation, FAS and Faith Green from Plymouth, who was an expert on Branscombe Needlepoint Lace, which was very similar to Borris Lace.
Since the revival in 1991, Borris Lace is now made in several parts of Ireland.
Each piece is signed, dated and numbered.
- Size of lace 8 cms x 6 cms
- Size of paper 10 cms x 10 cms
- Size of mountboard 15.5 x 21 cms